|St. Louis Lofts - Downtown Apartments|
Use the slider above to view the Grand Hall at Union Station in 1907 and 2014.
Union Station is a prominent building in downtown St. Louis. Rich in history, this massive building was built by the Terminal Railroad Association in 1891 and opened for business in 1894. The project cost $6,500,000 to complete and St. Louis Union Station was the largest and busiest railroad station in the country.
Use the slider above to view Washington Avenue at 6th Street in 1914 and 2014. Fast forward 100 years with just the click of a button! The building on the right in the foreground is the Grand Leader, now Embassy Suites & the Laurel Apartments. Most adjacent buildings have been demolished.
The Grand Leader building occupies an entire city block between 6th and 7th Streets on the north side of Washington Avenue in downtown St. Louis.
Use the slider above to view the Old Courthouse in 1911 and 2014.
Missouri became a state in the year 1821. The population in the city of St. Louis grew profoundly over the next several decades. As the needs of the city continued to change, the construction of the Old Courthouse took place over many years and in several phases. Construction began in 1839 and the building was finally declared complete in 1864 with the addition of a newly re-designed dome. The dome was an architectural triumph at the time. Built in the same style as the dome of the U. S. Capitol, this pioneer design was unique, and these two domes were among the first of their type in the world.
Use the slider above to view St. Louis City Hall in 1901 and 2014.
Part 2 of our "Then & Now" series features St. Louis City Hall. This structure replaced the previous City Hall (nicknamed the "City Barn," a structure that is no longer standing) at 11th Street and Chestnut Street. Sitting on a six acre site called Washington Square, City Hall was designed in the Renaissance Revival style and took fourteen years to complete. The first brick was laid in 1891 and the project was completed in 1904. The building has functioned as St. Louis's City Hall since 1898.
Use the slider above to view this street scene in 1905 and 2014. Buildings that still exist include the Jefferson Hotel (far left), the Bogen Lofts (left of center), and the Meridian Lofts (white building in the middle on the right).
Introducing part one of our new "Then & Now" series, featuring historic photos and drawings with their modern counterparts.
This edition shows an everyday street scene on Tucker Boulevard (then known as Twelfth Street) looking north from Olive Street. Horse drawn carriages, dapper pedestrians and stately architectural marvels in 1905 are replaced by traffic lights, high speed traffic, and newer construction in 2014 with a smattering of lingering historic landmarks. This major street through the heart of city served as an official dividing line for the business district up until around 1900, with very few buildings residing west of this intersection. As businesses expanded and needed more real estate, large buildings sprung up west of Twelfth Street, manufacturing and selling garments, hats, and numerous other dry goods. Those buildings still standing today include the Jefferson Hotel (built in 1904), the Bogen Lofts building (1902) and the Meridian Lofts Building (1898). All three are on the National Register of Historic Places.